Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Showing out and Sins of Omission

Ugh....what do those have to do with each other, you're wondering. Well, to be blunt, not much. Just two thoughts adjacent in my brain today.

Showing out: a colloquailism used in my school to mean, "acting up, making a scene, or exhibiting in some way unbecoming behavior." Or, sometimes, it is used jokingly to relay that you did something memorable that stood out. Well, a student told me I did this at prom. (It's amazing the reputation propogation Facebook pictures can accomplish, so non-prom goers (i.e., my underclassmen) can suddenly be vitual participants and commentators from afar. In fact, it's almost like you have to have vicarious experience in order to have a peanut gallery stance about it; if you were there, what need you say (to prove your inclusion)? OK, so a sophomore in the lunch line said to me today, "Ms. Nelson, I saw you at prom -- well, on Facebook. You had your dress and your red glasses. You blew up tuating."

Now, you're thinking, I really need explanation. This colloqialism is fresh off the conveyer belt, I believe. It's pronounced sh-ou(like "ouch)-a-ting. It means, you made an impression that was likeable and popular. Hmm. I'll take that as a compliment!

Two: I pray that in these last 6 class periods before the state test, I give my students everything I can to equip themfor the test. That I not be lazy and only just-enough-it. I know I would regret that! To live a regretless life...what a blessing that would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment