Friday, July 12, 2013

My Bank Account

I remember I used to joke with a friend on every payday, "My bank account is full." He would wonder at the idea of 'full,' pointing out that that may be an impossibility. But by my comment, I was mostly expressing my positive point of view towards my own wage. (I was a schoolteacher, but only 24 years old, so I was easily satisfied. I think I still am--never thought I would say it, but "thanks, Dad, for making me be content with a modest sum of money!")

I discovered yesterday morning that my spiritual bank account is full, also. (I wonder if there's such a thing as a spiritual payday? What a marvelous thought--especially if it's periodic and refilled whenever I get desperately low. But God doesn't operate on such economies. Back to the loose metaphor at hand.) When by best friend, C., and I discussed the Bible story of the miserly servant whose debt was forgiven by his master, but who in turn refused to forgive an underling of a smaller debt, it was as if I'd never heard it before. (I had.) As best friends do, C. made it crystal clear to me in that moment, that I have the ability to forgive anything, anyone, of any debt, because it is small in comparison to the oceanous reservoir of built-up love-investments that God has put in me.

I believe it: my spiritual bank account is full. This fact has caused a paradigm shift in hope, that I am indeed empowered by God to maintain a soft heart in hard times. Thank you, best friend, for repairing my hope in the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment