Monday, February 21, 2011

Great Mixed Words, and other exciting things on the horizon

I should be calling parents of failing children right now. But I need to write this down before I forget!!

One of my favorite students, one who's always earning detention, but who is plenty smart, and gets upset when I interrupt reading because he's getting so into it, said today, "oh, that's a misplaced metaphor." LOL! I love it! He meant misplaced modifier, of course. But surely, a misplaced metaphor is possible too. I misplace them all the time.

Yesterday my best friend said I present the gospel as persuasively as a businessman, i.e., "That's just like God! Just when you give up, that's when he comes in and saves you." I hope my persuasion and announcement of what God is like is more inviting than repulsive. I'm good at selling God...hmm, not sure how I feel about mixing religion and economics. That's a mixed metaphor. Or a misleading metaphor? But saying that on the tennis court, evangelizing there, that ain't no misplaced metaphor, no, never!

One last thing before I go. OK, two. One, JS squealed out euphorically after we finished The Giver today, "That's a good book!" Two, Tomorrow and Friday I'll be getting journal prompts in from my APAC classes- the 31 day challenge. I cannot WAIT to read em!

No comments:

Post a Comment