Thursday, January 20, 2011

Empowerment

Wow. I am absolutely amazed at what students will do on their own when they are simply issued their own person copy of a novel. I used my EEF funds to purchase about 40 copies of Lois Lowry's sci fi, The Giver. I decided to check them out to fourth block, my class with the best homework returns and the best academic culture. They religiously bring their copies every day, and brag to me about reading ahead. I can't say enough how significant this "finding" is...when students are given tools they can take home and feel personally attached to, the buy in is much greater. I feel like when our class meets, it's a block party gathering now, as opposed to a dentist appointment. What can I do to get more copies of the next novel?? Donor's Choose, here I come.........

I can't wait to write about schools and schooling and student buy-in and small things that lead to huge student achievement pay offs when I study education as a sociologist. I just cannot wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment