Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pathetic Little Book

So I definitely should be reading right now. But I really want to write this down before I forget!

What is the best way to build a book collection? And by 'best,' I mean, simultaneously the most inexpensive, effective, and sentimental approach? Here's how:

It's your day to present on the week's readings. You design a nice presentation, practice it, read every last word of the book and two companion articles. Being the experienced student you are, you found this book in the library's stacks and checked it out months ago, so you're ready to go. You proceed with book notes on your own notebook paper, instead of in the book's margins, since the book isn't yours to keep (obviously). You're not deterred by the book's humble canvas-y cloth cover and binding, in its dreary dark blue hue. It's clean and free, is it not? And not terribly worn either. Just a little aged.

So towards break time of my presentation, my professor comments on my book: "You got that out of the library?" (incredulous.) "Yeah," I say, unaffected. "I have a couple of extra copies in my office. You can have one." He laughs his good-natured laugh. Basically, he was saying, what's a decent grad student like you doing trumping around with a raggedy, poor excuse for a book...on LOAN, of all things? Clearly, my miserly ways are not totally acceptable in the grad student role. In fact, this here may be a transgression of the role. I'm willing to re-evaluate my role performance for a moment, but kid not I a soul: I won't part with my economical ways.

When I stopped in his office today on an unrelated errand, it was he who remembered to give me the book. "I mean, that one was just pathetic," he said with a laugh. This one, a shiny, youthful blue paperback copy with bold red streak designs across the front, "is much better," he said.

Coupon Queen (my childhood alias) strikes again! In a new way!

No comments:

Post a Comment