Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Carried & Loved

Deuteronomy 33:12

 “Let the beloved of the LORD rest secure in him,
   for he shields him all day long,
   and the one the LORD loves rests between his shoulders.”



Where do I rest most secure? It is probably in the company of my dearest friends, in ones who don't make me feel crazy or off my path, who don't take my words lightly or dismissively, who I can confide my deepest fears in. Wait....that's what the LORD can do for me, too. He won't make me feel like I'm unacceptable, like what I say needs no response or or cannot be understood, and best of all, I can confide in him. And this Confidant who I used to see as my Father and Provider, primarily, is around all day long. 


I've been having spurts of momentary bliss since the beginning of 2012. And I relish the pleasure of feeling cradled in God's safe arms, under His tender watch and care. But my feelings are all too punctuated and brief. I need rather to realize God is my shield and refuge, too -- not just a momentary friend I call up because I am in town. 


My favorite part is the last part. God places me between His shoulders, so I can rest while He carries me, like a dad giving a piggy back. There's really no more picturesque thing I can call to my imagination: to be the one carried and loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment