Tuesday, December 11, 2012

"Pleasantly Shocked"

One of my friends, A, who I have become much more close with this past semester even though I have known her for 5 years now, used this phrase to describe her reaction to learning things about me that she didn't expect. I love replaying the flashback in my head, and laughing about it with her still today: we were at a teachers' after-school unwinding session at a Mexican restaurant in Byram. (Ahh, those were the days!) That was back in the days that iPhones were still rare, we both had flip phones (I think), and it was also the day that we learned we had things in common. It was the inception of our friendship, though its growth sped up exponentially in hard times.

I have to say too that I am pleasantly shocked with the process of getting to know her. She is a perfect illustration of how deep God has built us to be as His creations, the capacity He has placed in each of us to have compassion, to give comfort, to spread joy, to provide rest in times of restlessness, laughter in times of merriment. Students look to her as a confidant; something about her aura signals to them (and apropriately so) that she is trustworthy and able to empathize. Someday I want to be like that. B and M, also friends of mine and coincidentally also former teachers, also have this trait, whereby students and peers know they can turn to them when they need comfort to know that their experiences don't make them unusual, but rather, that we can all relate to difficult situations in life.

A makes me feel like I fit in, like I can be freer in life -- but at the same time wise. She sets an example for me of what a mature woman is, who still has a youthful spirit but is at the same time competent at managing parental, spousal, and occupational roles. She's real!

Today I rejoice in those things, moments, and people that pleasantly shock us.

No comments:

Post a Comment