Friday, June 17, 2011

"Every Dog Has its Day"

Alright, so I pride myself on hating cliches. I even invent odd, odd ways of explaining the everyday (for example, "recreational talking" is a famed phrase of mine), to avoid the dreaded Cliche. But this one....well, this particular one is alright by me. I will let it slide every time.

Reason being, "every dog has its day" marks a special moment in my life. My favorite cousin-in-law, C., sent me a trendy Kate Spade leather-bound mini purse notebook, cool blue with gold-inscribed tiny font on the front with this phrase. She explained in her note to me, "this made me think of you, not because you're a dog, but because you will have your day, a day of success and a day when all will pay off for you." Something to that effect (wish I still had the original card. maybe it's stored in my box of received mail, the Corona box on the floor of my tiny closet getting in the way of everything.). Those simple words, so few, so concise, so parsimonious, sent hope flowing through my veins as if it were just shot in intravenously.

A phone call to my friend M. yesterday, a former grad school classmate, brought this phrase back up. I wish I remember the context she used it in. All I could do was burst out, "I love that saying." Oh, I still do, eight years later.

Now, where's my blue purse book? It's calling for me to fill it with more parsimonious pontifications.

No comments:

Post a Comment