Thursday, June 23, 2011

Waking Up Late

Today I woke up at 8:24. That means that I was supposed to be at work in 36 minutes. Well, that wasn't going to happen. I would rather have the balance instilled into my entire day by keeping my morning routine (semi-) intact and be late to work (thank goodness I have a job where I can do that- self-made hours) than to be on-time to work and have not gotten exercise out of the way. Because if I leave it to later in the day, I can be pretty certain it will not happen.

Summertime is interesting. I have the freedom to sleep whatever hours I want, really; but at the same time, I prefer to keep a rigid, structured day like I do during the academic year. Sleeping in makes me feel bad, unless I planned on doing it. The loss of a quiet, cool morning where the sun is not on full-blast yet is not something I'd like to part with in these free summer months. What can outdo that? A quiet start to your day is bliss. And I'd like to add, when work is forcing that morning time to be cut off, the morning is far sweeter. Things seem to be sweeter in their limited state, than in abundance. Too much of anything, anything without limits, loses its spice. Keeping a lid on the delights of life keeps them delightful.

So, this entry is really about the joy that streams forth from discipline. I used to cringe at the thought of a disciplined guy I knew in college. His life was so perfectly calculated, down to the management of each moment, that I easily grew jealous. I tried to stamp discipline as a killjoy to extinguish my jealousy. But really, I cannot deny that it is when I have self-discipline that I am at my fullness of joy. As writers call to their muse to do their work, I call to Discipline to live. What a gift is the Alarm Clock, when applied to more than just one's sleep schedule. An inbuilt mechanism and purpose in the discipline that is strong enough to control my body and mind and stream their powers and actions and desires down good streams. What joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment