Friday, September 16, 2011

Dynamism

I figured out what makes me really like particular TV series: the main characters are both lovable and hatable. It's really gratifying to me to be brought through the writer's plan of characters' development, especially when a specific character goes from being one I hate to one I see through a more empathetic lens. It's like a drama is helping to break up the rigidity and hatefulness and judgment in my inner places. Now, if only I can apply the exact same progress in my real life! Break up my judgments and put empathy in their place! That's right- evict judgmentalism! Through the enjoyment of a 43-minute TV show! OK, maybe that's a little far-fetched.

Shows where this has been the case have extremely multi-faceted (in literature, we call these dynamic [changing] and round [unpredictable, many-sided]) main characters. In One Tree Hill, those characters are Brook and Dan. Oh, the psychology of that dad! In Mad Men, it's Don and Betty. Both go through exceedingly ugly phases in their marriage, and show glimmers of hope towards breaking unhealthy behaviors or seeing through a window of self-awareness for the first time. In Friday Night Lights, it's Lyla. She seems emotionally bankrupt, but actually, she's got plenty of depth in her heart matters and how and why she chooses  to handle situations as she does. Plus, she's gone through feeling guilty, so I think that reduces her judgmentalism.

No comments:

Post a Comment