Wednesday, May 16, 2012

I Press On...to Win the Prize

Is there anything like a conversation with a friend who knows what you're going through, doesn't make you feel judged, but makes you feel free to all the good possibilities in life?

Conversations like that, wow. Being set free by someone's calm approach to the hardships we all face in life, and by their love for you that is not to be earned: what can compare?

I am looking upon this coming summer like it will be a very serious time. I have had times of rest, enjoyment, ease, fun; I feel a season of taking a real inventory of myself, where I am with God, all coming. Of course, it's kind of intimidating. Who wouldn't rather have an easy summer?

I pray for the courage to make the ones I love most feel free, like this friend who I called made me feel. I pray for courage to be all that God created me to be. Sometimes it is a very intimidating call, but God is faithful to get us there. Forgetting what is past, and straining toward what lies ahead, I pray with all my might to, as India.Arie puts it, to be "headed in the right direction."To know that I am headed in the right direction; what peace can compare? The real completion of the real Bible verse goes, "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

Thank you God, for times of fun,
for times of rest in the middle of a streak of hard work,
for the relief of forgiveness,
the julibee of bright pink shirts,
the undeserved blessing of complete freedom

Even though I am technically free of responsibility
God,
please make me feel responsible
for taking care
of the ones you love.

There's delight in this responsibility,
I know there is.

God I pray
that you help me
be honest, pure, patient, and determined
to attain -- to recognize, to taste, to know, to appreciate --
Your very best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment