Friday, May 4, 2012

Writing: Work, Worries, or a Wonder?

This morning I have the completion of my theory paper upon me. It is to be 15-20 pages. I've finished the reading for it; my outline with quotes and all (each point is really a paragraph already) is about that long. I don't have any more reading to do, but my final section needs to be a creative synthesis of it all, but it should be fun to do because I am basing it on reflections of my time teaching-- specifically, on NCLB.

The sooner I finish this paper, the sooner I can head to Jackson!

I've found myself actually enjoying the intense schedule of work that grad school has meant to me this semester especially. Not that I didn't work hard last semester, because I did. But I have less idle time in my apartment this semester, on account of taking four classes and picking up a part time job. Thus, my leisure time now is far more valuable than it was to me last semester. But in writing this theory paper, I find the writing process so gratifying that I wish this could be my living. I don't even mind having a very limited audience--- indeed, even an audience of two! My joy and satisfaction in writing (at least in this paper) does not hinge upon the attention it will receive. My joy is in the thinking process that writing activates, how it's creative, and how I strongly feel I was born to write.

Maybe straining to publish academic articles and back to back research projects doesn't sound like fun to me, but books? I could do that. Educational theory? One big, meaty project? Oh yes, I could do that. It feels good to be doing what I know I was meant to do. Writing, though fun, is still work, not leisure. So it's enjoyable, fulfilling work. This is God's gift, no doubt.

Since it's early in the morning and I haven't even turned to my class writing yet, what can scripture illuminate about this topic? About work, here's what God told David (to tell Solomon).

Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Don't be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you. He will see to it that all the work related to the Temple of the LORD is finished correctly. (1 Chronicles 28:20)

This exhortation is instructive on two levels. First, God knows that the nature of work as experienced by the human worker can intimidate. Hence, procrastination and complaining can set in. Second, God does give us tasks to complete, projects which are His work indeed, but He himself assists in their completion, sending helpers and skills and time to do so. In this light, achievement (as another word for completion) is a highly spiritual act.

No comments:

Post a Comment