Friday, June 29, 2012

Dreams

I have had an overwhelming sense of purpose and belonging in New Orleans the past few days (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday). I've been busy at work all day; I've been coming into contact with lots of scintillating ideas and people (mostly in regards to education research, networks, projects); I've eaten three great meals in a row in wonderful company (savory burger at Cowbell, chicken panang curry at La Thai Uptown, and Com Rice with Eggplant at Magasin); my quiet times have been equally clarifying, energizing, renewing, and thought-provoking (maybe "quiet" times isn't the right name for them, but still, it seems to be the comfortable place where I make decisions, feel directed by God, etc. -- again, that probably seems like a paradox to be in a comfortable place while making decisions, ha! Leave it to God to pull a cool quick one like that). I feel really alive in New Orleans. I feel that this summer is an appointed time for me to be more intentional and thoughtful about my life choices, the way I treat others, taking care of myself, seeking God (and actually trying to understand Him better, rather than just operate out of my old preconceptions), and finally, relaxing and socializing more (I told C. last night that, aside from T., I spend the most time with her hands-down, and it's been a long time since I was so immersed in someone's company, time, and just enjoyed their presence without having to plan it out. It brings a different aura to the friendship, for sure. I hope I find someone like her in ATL...maybe S.? Or maybe it's just a summer-effect, where people [me especially] are more generous with their time, so friendships grow faster and better.).

So I titled this entry "Dreams." My NOLA summer fits into my dreams snugly. I feel incubated here, and at the end of this June already, I can reflect and confidently say, or shout with joy, that I am really happy with how that month was spent. I couldn't have spent my time in any better way! I feel incubated in God's love and care. It's a good feeling. And I pray that I am growing up in other ways too, spiritual ways and emotional ways.

My high school friend N. directed me to her pastor's blog, which had this great thought about the nature of dreams:

Joseph didn’t ask for these dreams.  They just came to him.  They were a divine interruption into his stable life, and they made life harder – not easier.  Many, many years would pass before these dreams would make sense to Joseph or his family.


What I've written about isn't the hard part, like Joseph faced with his big dreams. Rather, I've written about a nice "incubator" period in which my dreams don't seem so intimidating or amorphous. But it is wise in times like these to prepare for the harder times again, for they will surely come. This literal and figurative summer a time to store away memory of God's goodness for winter-times that lie ahead. And also, it's a time to remember that God is the giver of dreams, and no matter how big they are, or frustrating at times, He is making them happen, gradually, under His timing. I never could have foreseen or aimed for a summer internship like this, in a brand new city to me like this, with an almost built-in group of brand-new friends like this. God simply dropped it into my life, and it is igniting the dreams He gave me all the more.

No comments:

Post a Comment