Sunday, August 28, 2011

A Joint Enterprise

Roommate: a friend to cohabit your living space; a person with whom you can coexist and who helps you lower your cost of living; or, hopefully, some manageable combination of the two.

I have mixed feelings on and mixed experiences with roommates. First year of college- strained, stayed out of the room as much as I could. Second year of college- had a single room. bliss. Third year- 6-girl suite heaven. I won't ever have that experience again!! First year in MS- two roommates; one, didn't work out, the other, became a beloved friend who I loved dearly and was totally comfortable with and was so happy to come home to. 2nd and 3rd years, MS- I wasn't really close with these roommates, but it was livable. With the first, I wanted more of a friendship; with the second, I often felt bad for not being more of a friend.

Now in Atlanta, I have a new roommate. I am starting to like her more by the day; we have a lot in common: our age, faith, place of origin, tastes in things in general. I am actually for the first time really getting excited about getting to know her. She is great to come home to.

I wanted to post this short blog to say, it is so nice to have someone to share life with. Meaning, someone with whom to build a household. And for this season of my life, it's roommates; we split buying household needs and goods. Another step towards adulthood: check!

No comments:

Post a Comment