Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Cosmic Poise

I stole this phrase from Tim Keller. I don't usually listen to him, but lately I have because he speaks generously on the topic of singleness vs. marriage, which is something I enjoy thinking about. He brings up very fresh points and insights on scriptures that I'd never thought of or considered before. He's a great practical preacher of the Word - my favorite kind. Keller used the phrase "cosmic poise" to refer to that quality of unshakability God gives us, when we realize we can have courage and not be afraid under any circumstance our lives bring us. As I begin a new phase of life on new ground, literally new ground in a new city with a new vocation, may my spiritual footings and attitudinal posture remain in Christ. He's my one steady, the one constant in my life who sustains me. Really, pressing into Him will be the answer for any transition I undergo until the day I part with this life.

I think it's curious how I both simultaneously cling to things of this world - the physical blessings of this present earthly life -- and also long to be departed from its worries and seemingly endless burdens, disappointments, fears, etc. It's like CS Lewis said: if I find in myself a longing which nothing here can satisfy, all I can conclude is that this place (earth) is not my home.

So far in my life, I've negotiated as a nomad. I definitely get by on the generosities of others. It's a painful thing to realize, that I'm no self-made woman. I knew that before, but I don't think I ever dared to understand the depth of that truth, previously. When it comes to spending money, I'm ridiculously cheap. Good thing I can still have poise in Christ, after coming face-to-face with some of my ugliest traits. He gives me the ability to correct bad postures, after making me aware of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment