Friday, July 22, 2011

Body Dragging

Throughout the school year last year, I would almost always fall asleep to a movie -- within the first 5 minutes -- while T. and I were winding down for the day. Looking back, I like how I was constantly exhausted from work and school. Especially on Fridays, there was no forcing my body into activity. That was my melt-down, take-it-easy-at-last day.

Now that it's summer, and I am working but nothing like teaching and going to class on a relentless weekly routine, you'd think the exhaustion would be less. And it certainly is. However, these past two days, my body has been in a definite lull. Yesterday, I couldn't get up as early as I wanted. I forced myself to exercise at midday, and paid for it with a lethargic bodily response from 1:30-3:30. Ugh, that was annoying to go through; while I wanted to be working, my body was so apathetic it drowned my hopes for productivity. Today, I was in no mood for spin class, but did it nonetheless, although I wasn't pushing myself super-hard. I figure, some exercise is better than none at all. Also, I am a routine person. Better not to break routines than to suffer the consequences of feeling lazy afterwards.

The purpose of this post is not to blabber on and on, but to try to make two points: (1) sometimes I would probably be better served by not exercising/running on a given day, especially when it breaks my flow of concentration and work, as it did yesterday. This is a form of discipline of mind. (2) I wonder what is up with my body, when I am in a lull like that. I am not particularly sleep deprived, compared to any other time. Hmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment