Monday, July 18, 2011

Clean coffee mugs and high heels

Today I got up later than I would have hoped I would, but the day is not a wash because of it. God's still giving me motivation to make much of this day.

As I was preparing coffee to bring to work, I opened up an old travel mug, which I've been using relentlessly these past three years, day in and day out. A gross slime accompanied the opening. Sick. I washed it out and intended to use another mug. Then, with the warm water in it full, I changed my mind. I grabbed the grapefruit-colored Dawn detergent, squeezed in a good amount, and brushed the mug hard. The cap too.

As I walked up the hill to work, I was relieved to see how clean the mug had gotten. The lid was literally shining, with bristle marks from the scrubber there to insure its completely clean state. I'd gotten the gunk out of the sliding cap too. From this simple thing, I thought, with a newfound sense of relief, that's how Jesus approaches us in our sin, too. He decides to scrub us clean, to the point where there is visible evidence of our newly clean state. To me this said, don't give up. And also, you're always covered in His blood. He will ever make you clean. After years and years of use as His vessel, He will always make me clean again, ready for His use. How reassuring!

Now, heels. Yesterday I wore these swanky brown leather heels with my old brown Talbots dress. The heels made the outfit, for sure. They made me look far more mature than I have in recent years. Anyways, T. has been explaining to me how one can observe a woman wearing heels and be able to tell, "oh, those heels are walking her" or "Yes, she's walking those heels." In other words, does the wearer of the shoes have control over herself in them? If she does, she looks forward with ease and balance, not examining or looking down at her footwear and stride. I thought to myself entering church, this is so like our Christian walk. The effortlessness means we are trusting Jesus with it; the endless examination and criticism of self while trying to walk with Him is evidence of putting too much emphasis on self and "stacking up" to His way. While it's essential to feel the need to walk in a way acceptable to our Heavenly Father, hope will not be found in the self-focused walk. Rather, hope is found when we are almost floating on His promises. Oh, help me believe your promises, God! Help me walk this faith with a supernatural balance that comes from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment