Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fear

Looking back upon my baby Christian years, I think it is a curious thing indeed that my first ever memory verse that I recall was Joshua 1:9: "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go." How more relevant of a verse could the Bible contain for me at a time like this, when I am about to move and feel very afraid, when I am doubting my secure place in His arms?

Another passage to encourage those in fear is in Levitcus 26. I admit, I know nothing about context, so I will not make too much commentary on it. I will just enjoy the promises.


Leviticus 26

Reward for Obedience
 1 “‘Do not make idols or set up an image or a sacred stone for yourselves, and do not place a carved stone in your land to bow down before it. I am the LORD your God. 2 “‘Observe my Sabbaths and have reverence for my sanctuary. I am the LORD.
 3 “‘If you follow my decrees and are careful to obey my commands, 4 I will send you rain in its season, and the ground will yield its crops and the trees their fruit. 5 Your threshing will continue until grape harvest and the grape harvest will continue until planting, and you will eat all the food you want and live in safety in your land.
 6 “‘I will grant peace in the land, and you will lie down and no one will make you afraid. I will remove wild beasts from the land...

Ahhh, to live in safety in the land! To lie down unafraid, and to feel peace! God knows we long for these things, and need them, and He therefore is happy to grant them, when we trust His way. I count the peace  these Scriptures give me my blessing for today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment