Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Blessings


When I am feeling overwhelmed, whatever shape that may take, I found this morning that when I write down, in a numeric list, all the things I’m happy about and thankful for, my heart changes its murmurs of complaint into hums of joy. I chose the word “murmur” on purpose because it can be so imperceptible that its tone can carry on for days, weeks, without being addressed by the tender but steady voice of loving discipline within, the Holy Spirit. I chose the word “hum” on purpose too, because it is not an overpowering noise, a shout for joy (though perhaps it ought to be!), but it is a distinct change in tone from the downcast murmur. A hum is upbeat, lighter, less preoccupied with (or perhaps even consciously and freely oblivious to) one’s own disappointments, longings, lackings, disappointments. Those things just aren’t light!

In other words, being thankful, especially making record of it and revisiting it, can loosen the chains of complaint, concern, and just general cloudiness of accumulated worry. Thankfulness, the magic bullet to revive the sunshine contained in the heart’s desires.

No comments:

Post a Comment