Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Add this to your flowery metaphor box

The administrative assistant in my department is kind and with-it.

When I went into her office to inquire about my locker number and TA office number changing, we ended up talking about how when you move, you have to grow yourself where you're planted. It was advice her mother gave her 20 years ago, after she'd gotten married, moved to ATL for the first time, had a daughter, and kept running home to another state 3-4 hours away every weekend. Eventually, her Mom (or was it Grandmother?) said to her: "You need to grow where you're planted." Which means not running back to your old life because it is comfortable there, and you know you're loved there.

It reminds me of these verses, close to mind and heart lately:

Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past.
See I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up! Do you not perceive it?
I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland.
-- Isaiah 43: 18-19


No comments:

Post a Comment