Saturday, October 20, 2012

Good Things, Part II

This past week held some great moments.

Wednesday morning, I was pulling my bike from the crammed bike rack at the business school, something like pulling a comb through really tangled hair. People just pile their bikes on top of each other like a girl who likes jewelry but doesn't care enough to sort her necklaces into anything but a box. Anyway, so I got my bike free. As the front tire hit the pavement as I prepared to mount it, the tire made a weird thunk sound. I thought, That's weird, it doesn't usually sound this way, does it? The rubber sounded like it was filled with sand. Oh, well, I thought, and got on it to ride away. A business student, complete in his suit, walked up to me and pointed out that the metal lever piece in the center of the tire had been loosened and needed to be pressed back in. He said, "You would have died." And I said, "Thank you--there's your good deed for the year!" PHEW.

Wednesday night, I was taking a break from my list of 6 to-do's for school the next day by getting a bubble tea (of course). At the intersection of N Decatur and Clairmont, all the electricity went off for about 4 seconds. It was quite a sight to see, a pitch black nothingness in place of the commercial excess. All the store signs, traffic lights, street lights, everything but the cars' headlights and tailights, were wiped out. It was like watching stars disappear from the sky. Up ahead on N Decatur, some Catepillar trucks were doing some kind of construction, so I am sure that's why the outage happened (they hit a power line). But when it all came back up, it was like watching a vending machine light up and display its appealing contents. The color and signage all rushed back in. The return of the graphics!

Thursday afternoon, I had lunch with one of my faculty advisors. I can't believe that actually happened. She asked me about my background, my life, my dreams. It's nice to have someone care about those things that are rarely verbalized. I was honest in my answers, but definitely felt like I had to muscle it up so it sounded like a bigger deal. But really, my desires in life are pretty simple. Knowing where I want to be after this degree helps me to do it. A clear vision for myself makes each week doable...really. God willing, this will be my last year of coursework!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment