Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Natural Limitations

Romans 6:19 I am speaking in human terms, because of your natural limitations. ... present your members as slaves to righteousness leading to sanctification.

I have a lot of stress and anxiety in my spirit lately. It's causing me to be unusually pessimistic, isolated, and fretful. Now, as during the period following Dad's death, I am facing that fear of becoming someone I don't want to be, of somehow losing my essence to external forces. But God has shown me that He won't allow that. He did it then, and He will do it now.

I love this verse, which I encountered late this morning. It basically tells me that yeah, God knows we have human weaknesses and failures, and that our limitations, those times when we feel overwhelmed or at the end of our own resources and familiar coping strategies, are not abnormal. These are part of being human, i.e., such that Paul's letter is written to us, in our language ("human terms"). Otherwise, he would be writing in say...political terms (for the power hungry), or psychological terms (for the success hungry), or economical terms (for the security hungry), etc. etc.

Graduate school has already taught me so much! In the words of P., it will teach me to come to value my intellect as my inexhaustible reservoir of strength in times of uncertainty. I am amazed at how the spirit and the intellect are connected...

No comments:

Post a Comment