Sunday, October 2, 2011

Socks

Today when I woke up, I was surprisingly cold inside my own house. It's the top of October, and it feels like it, too. I like when expectations and reality align. So my shorts and T-shift PJs wouldn't do during my pre-church reading. I whipped out the comfy lounging yoga pants, and a pair of fuzzy slipper-socks, striped white, grey and pink, in my bottom drawer with all that other random stuff: belts to certain dresses, my lacrosse uniform, etc.

I received these socks as a Christmas gift from a student from my first year of teaching. I think she graduated early last year. Behaviorally, she wasn't an angel, but she wasn't a devil either. Academically, she was the best of both worlds: very conscientious, and legitimately smart. Socially, very adept, polite, cute, engaging, sprightly (I am wondering if that means what I think it means...bubbly?). I saw P. and her mom at a DQ on Ellis Rd. after a tennis game one night. I was embarassed because I was in my tennis outfit that showed a lot of thigh. Fortunately, it was not as big of a deal as I thought at the time.

Anyhow, these socks, they continue to keep me warm 3 winters later. I miss P. and her peers very, very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment