Sunday, December 19, 2010

11 Things

What are 11 things your life doesn’t need in 2011? How will you go about eliminating them? How will getting rid of these 11 things change your life?


The analytical side of me wants to make a flow chart for this prompt. But I'll resist!


1. fear of loss: To reduce fear, I will pray for increased awareness and belief that the calming Holy Spirit will never leave me. God has chosen me, disciplined me and will not leave me, no matter what. Why is this so hard for me to get, permanently? I feel like I understand this truth in waves; oh, for it to be constantly understood! Getting rid of this fear (that sounds so absolute -- are things in life really this way? Please! This prompt is a bit over-the-top.) will allow me to love more freely, without demands and doubts and greed for attention. I want to be able to love without expectation for returns on my "investment," and without taking as part of the equation. That's not pure love!


2. impatience. To reduce my impatience, I've found that apologizing for my shortness around those I love (the ones you love see your worst sides, don't they?) as soon as I become aware that I am being short is a very helpful response. I still have vestiges of poutiness in me, related to not getting my way, promptly. It will be better for me to be more patient, because then I will start to view time not as my own possession, only jealously and carefully shared, but as God's possession, which He intended for me to give freely for the sake of his Kingdom. Also, in terms of my anxious need to check off life accomplishments, I do believe I could use more patience, because that will be my expression to God that I am not afraid that my life is worth nothing unless I accomplish x, y and z by 201_. If I am more patient in my life's unfolding, it will be an expression that I trust God in terms of timing and the goodness of His will.


3. (I don't think I am going to make it to #11.) Clothes and shoes: I will rid of them to the Goodwill in Pearl. This will help me by de-cluttering my small closet and allowing me to freshen up and tweak my style, which is FUN and allows me to get creative and enjoy getting dressed in the morning. (This kind of pleasure is what India.Arie meant by "Little Things.")


4-11. Of course, the conquering of sins I've fought in my flesh will be helpful to producing fruit in the spirit. Galatians 5:19-21, 26; Ephesians 4: 22-27.

No comments:

Post a Comment