Sunday, December 5, 2010

Visits from former students

Here's a topic I'm revisiting, but I have to reiterate how incredibly sweet it is to continue knowing my students, and see them blossom as they have become upperclassmen. I love, love, love the fact that they came and visited me.

One student, L., came in my room during my lunch period on Wednesday. She shared an evangelistic poem she wrote that was so compelling, it spurred me to ask her a bunch of question afterwards. She has this perfect raspiness to her voice that makes her poetry even sweeter. She performed it at an open mic event later that week-- I'm sure she had no problem whatsoever doing it! She's a natural. When I had her as a sophomore, she had a whole spiral notebook full of poems. How much the themes and verbiage of her work have matured over the two past years.

Another student, T., one of my personal favorites who at first was the brattiest, most intolerable thorn in my side, but in the last week of last year became one of my absolute prized pupils, came in (also for poetic reasons) during my APAC 7th period class. She was slated to recite Johnathan Walton's "My Release," a long but great poem I'd shared with my classes the past two years, and in fact had shown 7th period on YouTube that very day. I hope the presentation went well for her. Ah, I love her!

I've been praying for more love for my students. I think God has answered that prayer. It's effortless in instances like these.

No comments:

Post a Comment