Sunday, December 19, 2010

Body Integration

This year, when did you feel the most integrated with your body? Did you have a moment where there wasn’t mind and body, but simply a cohesive YOU, alive and present?


    Wow, this prompt is really amazing! I love it. It reminds me of author Lauren Winner's thesis that God created us as particular bodies, and it's His intent for us to experience them and live in them and treat them as an integrated part of our spirituality. 
    I've grown into my body far more this past year. I am thankful for the body God gave me, and for its ability to move, run, be healthy, be energized and be restored, through rest and getting over sickness. I suppose I can't pinpoint a specific moment when this happened, but I do think my body has become more a part of my overall self. My consciousness of it has risen. As a result, I do feel more cohesively me. I have been able to explore more of myself now that I am not utterly consumed with undergraduate studies. Having a job and a social life and an academic life, all at once, has allowed me to know the more comprehensive Jennifer, outside of the life of her mind only. Those years, undergrad, were for the development of mind and also of heart for God. Now my development is less on the mind (sadly -- I wold like to return to that place soon), but more on physical application of my knowledge and of keeping of my body and spirit.
    Speaking about bodies like this reminds me of one of my best friends, Anna's, comments this past summer: "Jennifer, do you realize that now, around age 25, we are at our physical peak? It's all downhill from here!" LOL. No need to fret about that, though. As I mentioned above, the body has an astounding capacity for restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment