Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Party

What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

This is an absolute no-brainer. Charles Hooker's Christmas party knocked my socks off. As I reminisce on it, I am absolutely astonished about how outstanding of an experience it really was. I met an amazing woman, Anna, whose thoughts and conversation were so engaging to me. As a bunch of men outside were huddled around a fire (where the drinks were), they were looking in on us wondering what we could be talking about to such an extent and with such gusto. It was truly refreshing to meet a kindred spirit like hers.
I also loved being around a bunch of professionals, YUPPies I suppose. I love being in the mix with people from different backgrounds and areas of expertise than my own. I literally feel as though I took a step up into adulthood that night, like I gained a little more insight into the importance of social consciousness.
The very best part was conversing with the Hooker couple as the party died down. I still need to polish off the book Charles lent to me, God's Long Summer: Stories of Faith and Civil Rights. Being lent a historical book by an elder who is widely respected in the local scene reminds me of when a prominent attorney lent me Rising Tide this past spring. It was a grueling read, kind of, but I'm glad I finished it. I look forward to reconnecting with the Hookers sometime soon, and continuing our conversation. I can't deny, I am growing fonder of my southern home and community by the day. I won't resist these opportunities to become rooted here.

No comments:

Post a Comment