Monday, December 20, 2010

Wisdom

What was the wisest decision you made this year, and how did it play out?

I remember reading a Christian-based book about dating when I was in high school. The advice in its pages was, when you break up with someone, make it a clean break. Meaning, don't hold on. Let it go, go, go.
Now, I do admit, this long-standing personal philosophy of mine does make me very Pharisee-ish. It puts me in danger of looking down upon friends who can't seem to let go of former significant others. And I don't want to be that way. May I add that I am not perfect at practicing this philosophy, either.
However, with the help of two good friends, C.and H., I was able to let go of a very unsatisfying, not-deep relationship I had earlier in the year. And as a result of clearing house, my heart was able to grow, see myself more clearly, deepen bonds with girlfriends, not mope, and, perhaps most significantly, to understand God's good will towards my own heart and His purpose for the intermittent spring-cleaning He does when our hearts get cluttered with what's not really (for) us. I'm so glad God can restore the heart and allow it to keep growing, rather than to shut down or become utterly myopic in its view of the life God has made for us to experience abundantly.

Wisdom: in this case, it came initially through reading, and was pounded home by the encouragement of good friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment