Friday, September 10, 2010

April 2009: Dear Second-Year (My Mentor)

Dear Anna,
      Few things are more refreshing than when someone I admire is “real” with me. This one I look to is transparent about her own experiences – good and bad. She is descriptive about how she copes in situations that just make her frustrated and exhausted. She desires to benefit those who are in her shoes and is committed to the betterment of each of her pupils (even if that progress is incremental!). Her goodwill is evidenced through her unstoppable will to give students feedback and needy teachers help.
The energy contained in her skin is enough to supply two or three people. She is available even when she is undeniably occupied in the present moment. She spirit is humorous; her wit, sharp; her prescriptions and counsel, trustworthy. Her ideas are dynamite; her enthusiasm relentless; her encouragement, persistent and powerful. She is a hard worker who does not get “owned” by her work.
Okay, enough ambiguous pronoun reference. Anna, you are her! I have gained so much from our mentor/mentee-ship. Through how many Saturday lunches, Oxford afternoons, g-chats and email exchanges did you fortify me? Countless. Your example of cheerful determination has propelled me through this first year, and will in the next. Doubtless, you will be etched in my memory as I step into new situations in my years to come beyond MTC as well.
Simply contemplating your future brings a blinding light to my mind’s eye. You illuminate wherever you go with joy, energy and discipline to get the job done right. Thank you for pouring your time and energy into me as your mentee, Ms. Morrison! I will follow this up when I see you in Oxford in May. Wow – look at all you have done for good in Mississippi. Amazing!

A big hug,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment