Friday, September 10, 2010

June 2008: proof that K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid) is true!

Three teaching strategies and tips I've gained from my second-years are:
1.)     Structure, structure, structure! Do not let class time flow like a blob. The clearer the class plan is for students, the more sure they will feel of what they’re doing and the more they’ll be willing to follow you where you are trying to take them with your lesson. Austin taught me to make each part of the daily agenda distinct by simply declaring it to students: “pens down, eyes up here” to mark the end of the bell ringer; “today, we are going to do x, y and then z” to transition from the set to instruction. Theynnouncing how the class will progress and my expectations of students every step of the way (writing down instructions is something I still need to work on) will boost student participation. Indeed, once I started making clarifying to students what we were going to do with our time before the bell rang, I totally noticed a difference in their willingness to step aboard with me and participate.
2.)     During instruction, oftentimes less explanation, more examples=more effective. Fancy words on overhead notes don’t accomplish anything. Neither does being longwinded. I don’t think I myself have yet fully learned that quantity of information is not an indicator of depth of knowledge on a subject. One of my second-years has inspired me to work on this more. At times I resist this “simplification” argument because I think, “I don’t want to talk down to my students and have low expectations for their comprehension (i.e., by diluting my word-choice on my overhead notes) – how will they ever grow that way?” But I think it is true: keeping it simple and sweet, to-the-point, will do the students good because it will prime them to absorb more information, instead of a wipe-out deluge at the start. Eloquence and breadth is useless if it deters kids from learning. Rather, purposeful simplicity at the outset – specificity and shortness in instruction – makes room for student growth beyond that point.  So, here’s a cheer to simpler, more concise instruction. I will practice it more in July.
3.)     A teacher can be very authoritative without expending a lot of energy on it. Actually, responding to your students in simple ways establishes the most effective form of authority.  Or at least, this “gentle” style of authority works best for me. For example, simply standing by a student who is slumped down in his/her seat, rather than saying “sit-up, that’s your warning,” will actually get him/her to straighten up, without a word. Also, being aware of the subtle power-relations that are communicated when a teacher hovers over students when s/he is helping them with independent practice can be eliminated. Instead, kneeling down to eye-level with them establishes a rapport between teacher and student that is stronger than the plain-old–plain-old absolute authoritarian approach. Building this rapport during IP has positive ramifications on classroom management during instruction and guided practice!
I am going to miss my first-years so much...how different the classroom dynamic will be once we officially inherit it on Monday. This reflection has reminded me how thankful I am for them. They both have mentored me as a novice teacher in a wise, loving and conscientious way, a way that is particular to each of them and full of each of their distinct personalities! 

No comments:

Post a Comment