Friday, September 10, 2010

August 2009: Gettin' Better This Semester

This semester, I am hoping for a number of improvements over last year.

First, I really want a more organized system for make-up work and missed work. I can already feel myself slipping down this slope and getting behind, especially with two preps this year. I do like the binder system I have, and I think I will designate one student per prep to be my "notetaker/binder upkeeper go-to person." S/he will be in charge of writing out an extra copy of notes and making sure that the example binder is immaculate on a daily basis. I will choose someone who is always done with notes before everyone else- one of those fast worker-bee types. 

Second, I want to keep up with my homework blog more. I plan to give out homework more regularly this year, so this will be a must. (So far, homework returns are about 60%! Amazing! Wonderful! I think that makes it worthwhile, b/c the kids who do do it will be that much more likely to tip up into a proficient or advanced category on their English II exam, when their independent practice is extended and polished and downloaded more permanently into their memory by doing work outside of class....plus, it will serve as college preparation for that demographic. So I have decided that homework is worthwhile.)

Third, I would like to initiate regular, mass parent contact via weekly/biweekly emails. This might prove to be a headache though...would it be better to keep parents somewhat out of the "know"? I might be asking for it (a time/brain-consuming deluge of emails to reply to) in establishing that contact. Already, with APAC my students are using email to clarify HW assignments....and while that's commendable and great and exactly what they SHOULD be doing, I can see how that might quickly become ex-hau-sting!!!! So then again, maybe I won't. But using more email with parents is the general goal. I love email over phone!

Fourth, I want to sharpen my raise-hand vs. suspended-raising-hand balance during class time. Is it bad to suspend the raise-hand rule for brainstorm-esque guided practice? Or should raising hands be protected? I notice I ask an awful lot of questions of my students over the course of the 90-minute period. I like that. While I like my newfound "free to talk out/OK, now raise your hands again" rule-switching that I am implementing a lot this year, I do wonder what affect it will have on students' informal assessment. Also, I don't want to jeopardize my absolute control over the students' talking. (Ha, not that I have that, but I like to feel like I have a good amount, anyway.)

No comments:

Post a Comment