Friday, September 10, 2010

Sept. 2009: Staying organized

This is one of my favorite subjects. I like organizing stuff: rooms, clutter, ideas, records; by size, color, theme, convenience, time, etc. And be encouraged: getting your papers and classroom in order is an easy way to gain a sense of control over a very arduous job. There are so many variables and strains that you cannot control - your students' disinterest, chronic absence or apathy, for instance (as these can be mediated and addressed, but not ultimately done for them) - but take heart! You CAN manage the little stuff, and it pays off.

Have a table near your desk for all papers. Don't use your desk for paper storage; keep it as clear as possible. On that table, keep stacks of your handouts for the previous few days and the current day. On that desk, also have a bin with hanging folders in which to put graded student work ready for return. When collecting student work, paperclip them by period, make a neat stack, and put them in your bag or (gasp!) on your desk in order to say to yourself, "grade these ASAP, record and return."

Another crucial desk to have is a small one by the entrance of your room. Keep a tardy sign-in, pen strapped down, an example binder (full of class notes) there. Also, keep missed worksheets there too, so students who wer absent can collect missed work on their way in. Either a bin with hanging folders on the desk, or a wall-mounted, hanging series of pocket-folders will do for this purpose (you can make one of these by taping manila folders about 2" apart in a vertical 'ladder').

Let's see...I think it's already been universally imparted that a carry-along clipboard is a crucial organizing device for the new teacher, to track student names, discipline charts, and keep attendance. On my behavior chart, I use abbreviations such as "D" for detention (and I know I need to call parents at that point), "S" for sleeping, and a colored-in triangle in the box-corner to notate a tardy (a non-colored-in triangle means absent). See my classroom management ppt for further elaboration on this record-keeping code, which I adapted from Ms. Mossing and Ms. Hall. 

I also compile binders per quarter full of originals I had and lesson plans, so that by the end of each term, I have all my files that I used in a central place, even if they could use additional organization. I add these day by day, as I wrap up each sheet that was part of the unit. 

The key is: keep on filing things where they belong, as soon as you find them invading your free table space. Put things back where they belong, and be relentless in taking care of things before they pile up. Get all that minutia of teaching (all the non-teaching tasks we must do) off your plate and off your mind, even if that means staying after school 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon. Remember, organizing is your friend; it gives you some peace of mind! What a great reward!! I would compare organizing to exercise: you may dread it up-front, but you will not regret it once you make it a habit and see its fruits.

No comments:

Post a Comment