Friday, September 10, 2010

Jan. 2009: My Typical Day

4:45 - wake up, so excited for the relaxing morning ahead! Run downstairs to turn on coffee maker, which has been prepped the night before. Read a devotional book, while sipping coffee, for an hour (in my cozy reading closet. Thank you for the idea, Laurie Halse Anderson.).

 Some days, write hand-written letters to pen pals from previous lives (home neighborhood, geographically removed relatives, high school and college friends)
5:45 - head out for a.m. run, a 4 mile route
6:40-7 shower, put wet hair in bun, put lunch in my bag, head out the door. Commence 20 minute drive to work.
7:20-8:15 Arrive at school (hike up the hill from the parking lot), make copies, run to my room upstairs, prepare smart board presentations, write agenda on blackboard, then duty in the cafeteria
Hike up the hillEnglish Hall

**All my classes are the same prep: Compensatory Writing. **
8:15-10 1st/5th blocks. Both have class clowns, so no drowsy morning classes for me. These are the classes that get to witness/experience/benefit from/laugh at (with?) my caffeine buzz. It's hard to predict whether it will be a "this is a blast! I love teaching!" block, or an aggravating time. Hit or miss.
10-11:40 2nd period (a-day)/planning (b-day) Planning is usually technology training time, but it's also bonding time. Once I went to IHOP with one of my fave co-workers and mentor, Mrs. W.; another time, I went to Wendy's with another (rather thriving!) first year teach, Ms. D. On a-days, though, 2nd period is the biggest conundrum ever: unruly behavior (very, very energetic), but chock full of smart students who do their work (I love that!). We always get the farthest in the lessons of any class. We do stuff no other class does. I am pulling the majority of my "top 20" sophomores from this class for the fieldtrip to Millsaps I am taking later this week. I love some of these students especially dearly...is that bad, to have favorites? (I hear a resounding, YES!)

11:45-1:45 angelic lunch blocks! (3rd/7th) Third is less angelic than7th, but these classes downright make me happy. Attentive, enthusiastic, fun students.
1:45-3:30 planning block common planning meeting with English teachers (a-day); horrendous, packed 8th period class (b-day)
3:30-4:30 - wrap things up in my classroom: call parents if necessary, type in grades. Tutoring Tues/Thurs. usually my brain is too zapped at this point to be much good, so minimal progress is make re: planning and grading
4:00-5:30 tennis practice
 
5:30-6:30 dinner, reading, planning
6:30 - 8:30 Tuesdays- Static (a young adult worship/get together) and Wednesdays - fellowship dinner at church and/or Bible Study dinner
8:30-9:30/10 - Plan for following day, if necessary, or read or write if necessary :) Fall asleep anxiously anticipating the sweet morning ahead and thankful for the day's work done. :D



No comments:

Post a Comment